Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Tulum 2024 - Life Experience

 Life, as I view it, is a series of experiences, some grand, some small, some under our control, others not. One morning I left my room and sitting on a stool in the courtyard heard the strains of Dave Brubeck's Take Five. I was transported, for a few moments, to that special place only certain pieces of music, certain artwork, certain plays or movies, certain sounds or sights can take us. The call of a bird can reach us on an almost primal level. Ocean waves can elicit either soothing solace or paralyzing fear. Thunderstorms can amaze the senses while simultaneously shaking our inner core.

Sitting in a cooling tub on the top deck of the hotel can relax, riding through a shanty town on dirt streets surrounded by poverty I experienced feelings of sympathy and compassion for those who live there as well as frustration and anger at those that allow it to happen. Good, bad, grand, minute, these are all part of the grander experience of life. 

Enjoying the food, I have never had a moment of culinary disappointment in Mexico, is an experience. Savoring the sharp, crisp tang of a good, dry white wine while dining al fresco in March is an experience, a part of the whole. 

Lost luggage is a negative experience. Working through it and solving the day to day problems it's disappearance caused, is a positive one, a reaffirming of my ingenuity and resilience. 

Hopefully there are many experiences in the future, I look forward to each of them and wonder what each of them may teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment