Saturday, April 6, 2024

Tulum 2024 - Getting There - Phase 2

 Went though immigration, customs, changed terminals with the help of an airport Porter, whom I tipped with U.S. dollars as I hadn't yet gotten to an ATM, rechecked my bag, a detail which will be addressed later in this post, passed through security without having to remove my shoes, a peculiarity of the over cautious U.S. TSA security procedures, and I was ready to begin the 2nd, and final, leg of my journey

A got a liter bottle of water, I was severely dehydrated from flying sans liquid intake, and a sandwich, which served to somewhat restore my sanity and humanity. We boarded. I discover, to my pleasure, that I have the extra luxury of a bulkhead seat. Considering what happened after I landed in Tulum it was only meager compensation. My seatmate, a thin gentleman of indeterminate age, who lives in the mountains outside of Mexico City, introduced himself and we conversed for much of the flight, He pointed out, through the windows on the opposite side of the plane,  a live volcano spewing ash into the sky. I took me back to our trip to Costa Rica where I sipped my morning coffee as we enjoyed a crystal clear view of the steam coming out of a vent on Arenal and the ash cloud still visible as we headed to the airport around a volcano near San Jose which had erupted during our stay.  

I had arranged for the manager of the hotel to pick me up at the airport and drive me to the hotel. He texted me that he is in the airport, I texted back that I am waiting for my bag....which never comes. I and a fellow traveler, both of us with next to zero command of Spanish, stood, stranded and bewildered. We are turned over to an airport employee, who possesses only the slightest command of English. We were taken to a desk where they can figure out where our luggage is. The hotel manager helps translate and we were told that I don't have a bag affiliated with that flight. Still, they assured us they would go to lengths to find it. 

As we drove through the jungle to Tulum there were roadside signs with the silhouette of a jungle cat, much like the silhouettes of deer which abound on signs in the forested areas of the upper Midwest. He also pointed out a rope bridge constructed to enable monkeys to cross the highway unscathed. 

As a former Boy Scout I am always prepared and have packed a change of clothes, toothbrush and toothpaste in my carry on so I can carry on for at least another day. I had dinner at a restaurant on the winding plaza the hotel is situated on , an excellent spinach and ricotta ravioli sprinkled with chopped walnuts and an acceptable Sauvignon Blanc, I sell wine and spirits for a living. I only wished I was more awake and less verklempt so could have enjoyed it more fully, then returned to the hotel, did a bit of  texting regarding the goings on over the long day and took to bed.  


No comments:

Post a Comment