Thursday, April 11, 2024

Tulum 2024 - How Chedraui Saved My Life

 It became clear by mid afternoon that there was little hope of being reunited with my missing luggage that first day. Tulum is hot and humid so wearing things several days in a row would have been uncomfortable verging on unsanitary. The hotel manager, sympathetic to my plight, suggested that I would be able to purchase a few basic pieces at a store called Chedraui. Prior to sending me a GPS link to it's location I returned to the bike shop to ask the nice gentleman if he could direct me to it or suggest an alternative. The Amazonian parrot now perched on his shoulder, nuzzling his neck with his beak, gave me directions just as the GPS map, sent by the hotel manager, appeared on my phone. 

It was a hike but I'm a city boy and walking most everywhere day to day, was up to the task. The walk took me through the hotel zone. Rows of pseudo rustic hotels and restaurants along either side of a wide, gritty boulevard. Two pairs of shorts, two tank tops with Tulum's name as part of their motifs, I wanted a tee shirt from the trip anyway, and a faux Hawaiian print shirt, in case I needed to cover my shoulders, were obtained at a fairly modest price. 

I took the long walk back to the hotel led by GPS. Dinner and bed was early, I had had enough for one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment