Saturday, April 6, 2024

Tulum 2024 - Getting There - Phase 1

 There is always a certain amount of anxiety about having to catch an early morning flight. As if waking up  in the wee hours doesn't mess with your circadian rhythms enough there is the anxiety about waking up on time, which screws up your sleep. 

I stumbled around the apartment trying to not wake the husband or the cat, as, so far as the cat is concerned, my being awake sets off his internal breakfast alarm. I nuked my mug of coffee, saved from the pot from the day before, and tried to realign my sleep deprived brain. Ordering an UBER I gathered my bags and headed downstairs. 

The flag in front of our building clanged against the flagpole as I waited outside. Late winter had been remarkably mild. At this hour the city was, comparatively, silent and serene. 

My driver is 8 months pregnant. Ever the gallant gentleman I insist on putting the luggage into the back of the SUV myself. The trip to the airport is uneventful, there was little traffic at that hour. When I arrived the airport itself was still half asleep, shops not open, the only coffee available was at Dunkin Doughnuts. There as a long line and I find the brew they pass off as coffee completely unpalatable so I went to the gate and waited to board. 

I have never before flown with the Mexican based airline Volaris. If I can help it I never will again. As I've stated in previous posts over time I am on the short side, 5'5", yet even my knees were an inch away  from the seat in front of me. The aisle is the width of a necktie, the plane was uncomfortably hot, on our 4 hour and 20 minute flight there is no cart service, there went my plans for getting coffee on the plane. The flight attendants go through the emergency procedures spiel and then sit at either end of the plane for the duration of the flight. That one of the attendants was somewhat cute was little consolation. 

There was a heavy haze over Mexico City as we land depriving me of the view of the sprawling metropolis, home to 22 million people, give or take 100,000. From the air the city is impressive, spectacular and formidable all at once. Having once spent a week there I felt as if I had only nibbled around its edges. 

Despite the flights shortcomings at least I arrived on time. I deplane to catch my connecting flight, thankfully on a different carrier. This is where things started to go awry, but more on that later. 



No comments:

Post a Comment