Saturday, November 27, 2021

New York City - 10/08/1908 - 10:00 p.m.

 Got up about 10 (after being out till 1:30 in the Village and getting totally, expensively blasted). Drunk for days. E's (a roomie) mother showed up a day early, charming woman. Left for D.C. this morning and will return Friday. Met marvelous people including a redheaded bartender who was enthralled with my red hair. Went to the Boot Hook (a quasi leather bar) dressed to kill. Talk about uncomfortable. 

Ate breakfast with C(my host-2021) this morning and then headed downtown. Played a couple of hours, bought a green tie uptown to wear with the suit I was wearing. Looked SHARP!!! Played downtown after smoking a joint on Riverside Drive. 

Bought a turquoise ring. The man who sold it to me tried to talk me into buying a cheaper ring (two hands holding an unidentified object). I kept trying to tell him I liked the more expensive (by $1) one but he was so insistent. I won. Then I found a bookstore and bought two books, a Carly Simon song book and a book on the making of Tommy (both $1.98). Between the ring and bookstore I went into Woolworth's and bought R (my sister) a sheriffs badge (really tacky). Same as the Woolworth's back home except all the souvenirs are N.Y.C. instead of S.F. Got a ticket for "Act/Road" (1st or 2nd row) Friday night. Will play in the Village afterward. 

Shelly Berman was marvelous. Funny and charming. Looked okay too! Met Geraldine Page (she was in the audience). She was a mess. Pointed out to me by a woman in a gray suit who sat next to me during the show (well done woman). 

Came back uptown on a crowded rush hour subway to C's potluck. She was running on Jewish Standard Time as usual. The potluck was a done so I came home, ate dinner with the guys and did my laundry. C's friend G dropped by for awhile. 

Tomorrow finish the Met and go to the Museum of Modern Art and then dancing!!! with C and G wherever we decide to go. I do miss the city and will be glad to get back although I'm enjoying myself immensely here. 

Love and all that.


2021 - Geraldine Page, how well I remember that moment. She was perhaps the first, certainly among the first, celebrities I have had contact with throughout my life. She sat some rows back in the half empty theatre. My balcony seat had been upgraded for free to the orchestra. Her hair looked as if it hadn't been washed in a week. She had twisted it and pinned on top of her head with two large bobby pins. She was wearing a somewhat soiled denim outfit and was toying with a long tie dyed scarf. I approached her and said "I enjoyed your performance in Interiors very much ". It was a lie, I hated everything about that movie except Maureen Stapleton. "Why thank you" she replied, looking looney as can be pulling that long scarf through her hands. You could almost hear the music from a cheesy 1960s grade b thriller movie playing in the background. Still have the book on the making of Tommy in my library despite my editing my book collection several times in the past decades. 


No comments:

Post a Comment