Thursday, November 4, 2021

New York City - 10/06/80 - 7:30 p.m.

 Weather has been gorgeous, light chill, blue skies, wonderful. 

Did the Liberty Ferry to the Statue of Liberty (it's huge) after eating pastries and tea with C (my host/2021) before viewing her school building and dropping her off at her class. Took the subway downtown with P (my hosts boyfriend/2021) and took the ferry . Went to the top of the statue (long climb), took 20 pictures on  film we paid too much for and get high on Liberty Island (how bizarre). 

Saw the immigrant museum which contains the 1st Torah used at Dachau after it's liberation among other things (it's contained in the pedestal of the statue). How the hell our government got said Torah is beyond me. 

We took the ferry back, on board bought J (my roommate in S.F. during those years/2021) the most tacky Miss Liberty I've ever seen and proceeded to go downtown via Battery Park, where I got my pix taken on a sculpture by P. We then found Wall Street and the Stock Exchange (very weird) then all manner of wonderful (real cheap) clothing and Woolworth type junk shops and sidewalk sales off Wall Street and Broadway. Bought an obnoxious shirt and wonderful web belt. 

Ate lunch at Kentucky Fried and then walked (a long way), down to the Village. Played, had a drink at my first NYC gay bar and bought cards at Greetings, a wonderful card shop. Stopped in the Unicorn Shop as well, a slightly overpriced old clothes store. 

We had a blast today and my feet hurt but such is the price we pay. 

I intend to see Shelly Berman's show on Wednesday and I'm Getting My Act Together and Taking it on the Road at the Circle in the Square on Friday night, playing on Christopher Street afterwards. 

Had a nice dinner, made by C this evening and intend to go out to one of the neighborhood bars tonight. Laundry on Thursday is a must. Will be going out dancing on Thursday night which should be a blast!!! Will go to 42nd Street, Broadway etc. tomorrow and maybe finish the Met (who knows).

Having a wonderful time even though C has boring roomies (which are sitting next to me here in the room) but these situations can be worked out. 

Got hold of S (C's old roommate), will meet her on Saturday so the week should round itself out well. 


2021 Discovered, whole cleaning out drawers, one of my favorite photos I have ever had taken of me. I am in jeans, boots and a trench coat, which is flapping the wind, smoking that joint on Liberty Island. It is heavily damaged but I will probably hang onto it forever. I do wonder, judging from the coat, how we managed to light that joint with all that wind.   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment