Thursday, December 30, 2021

New York City - 10/09/1980 - 6 p.m,

 Finished the Met. Called the Museum of Modern Art and discovered they were closed. It was o.k., the crème of their European collection was loaned to the Met including Rousseau's Dream and The Sleeping Gypsy and, the high point, worth the $6 to get into the Met twice, Van Gogh's Starry Night.

Went downtown, looked at S & L's (Seligman and Latz, my employer at the time/ 2021) offices in the Tishman Building (great building, tacky cramped offices) what did I expect. Went into Bergdorf Goodman, crowded, less expensive than I had originally thought. Went into a bookstore, Coliseum Books, bought a book by a semi-unknown cartoonist and also Oliphant's book of political cartoons (pure heaven). Picked up a print and postcard at the Met when I left there and then stopped off at a discount store and bought two scarves, one for me (white) and one for A (my stepfather /2021), then walked forever (as usual) to find a subway entrance. They can be mouther fuckers to find. 

I had finished everything I wanted to do save the Cloisters tomorrow and Macy's on Saturday. Saturday is my big fuck around day. 

Got on the subway and coming home IT BROKE DOWN!!!! People who live here don't even have that happen to them. I'm so lucky. They managed to drag ass into the 96th St. Station and I decided to walk from there. How can I describe sitting in a crowded, hot, sweaty subway car? Miserable doesn't quite do it justice. Keeping chic is out no matter what you're wearing. Sweatsville! Anyway, it being 96th St. I got out and walked the rest of the way (only 20 blocks or so). Took a nap in expectation of this evenings festivities. Not a very busy or exciting day (except for the 3 hours or so I spent at the Met), but enjoyable.


2021 - This was the first time I saw A Starry Night. I have had the good fortune since to see it twice more. A friend of mine suggests that it looks like matter changing into anti matter and then changing back. The canvas throws out waves of emotion which made me literally take a step back in the Met that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment