Saturday, May 2, 2020

Coronavirus19 Diary - People People

From my kitchen window I can see the train I take to work. There have been times, during the last weeks, when I long to be back on it on my way to my job in the suburbs. I am socially oriented. I have a job that requires this trait. It is difficult for me to not be around others, at work, at the gym, at cultural venues and events. Trips to the grocery store somewhat refresh me allowing me to be, for a brief time, relieved of my isolation. Allow me to be with others.

That being said, being in the retail profession, I have rolled my eyes over the decades more times than I can count. However when people get on my nerves I can vent to a coworker. We roll our eyes in unison as we discuss the actions of rude, clueless or socially clumsy customers. There is a comfort in those moments we share.

I have a concern that these times may make people more dependent on social media. This isolation becoming a permanent fixture in the world. Perhaps the opposite will be true. Perhaps the physical distancing will remind people how interconnected healthy societies need to be.

I am more fortunate then some. I have another person, and a cat, to share with on a day to day basis. I feel for those that live alone. For those who like me crave human interaction. I know there are some that enjoy extended periods of solitude. I am not one of these. I look forward to returning to a world of people.

1 comment: