Thursday, May 28, 2020

Coronavirus19 Diary - Good News Bad News

This stay at home life does ebb and flow, thought not with the same volume as normal life.

Good news, my state's rate of infection and deaths are appearing to be heading downward. According to the models used by our government 2 weeks ahead of schedule. As of now the state will begin it's next phase of reopening this weekend.

Bad news, Chicago's move into the next phase is still TBD due to the stubbornness of our mayor. This is rather ridiculous. In border areas one side of the street is the city of Chicago, the other side a suburb. So, if you can't get the goods or service you need you will be able to walk to the corner, cross the street and get it there. This is the mayor, by the way, that managed to get a haircut in the midst of the stay at home order which apparently only applied to some of us.....but I digress.

Good news, on several occasions the sun came out and temperatures rose allowing me the opportunity of getting out on my bike. Pedaling around the city is one of the times I feel most normal these days. I found a park, a short ride away, where I can catch rays this summer if our well coiffed mayor will not allow us to utilize the beaches, with appropriate distancing and safety measures of course. She has stated that when the lakefront opens, if it opens, it will be "about movement" which I take to mean that sitting and quietly enjoying the lake will not be allowed. The lakefront we pay for and for tens of thousands of lakefront apartment dwellers is their only convenient outdoor space....but I digress. 

Bad news, my jobs return date is also TBD. My employer wants to open larger, higher volume, although less profitable, stores in the region first. I understand, I owned a business and still retain some of that mindset. Cash flow is more important than profit right now. So, somewhat like a caged animal, I will continue to pace back and forth, waiting.

Good news, our new couch arrives in a matter of days. Purchased in the dead of winter, due to be delivered in mid April, it's delivery date, due to all this mess, was postponed. Our current couch has pretty much had it's day. Visitors, parties and day to day wear, plus a deluge of use these past 10 weeks watching Netflix and on demand movies, has taken it's toll.

So we wait, mask in hand, asking the age old question, "Can I go out and play?"

No comments:

Post a Comment