Sunday, March 22, 2020

Coronavirus19 Diary - A Trip to a Grocery Store

It is becoming surreal. Being in retail I sometimes forget what day of the week it is. Now I truly forget what day of the week it is. I keep track by my phone and laptop. I check in for news from my employer, it is scant. The governor has issued a stay at home mandate extending a week longer than I or my employer anticipated. It is too cool for walks. A trip to the local grocery store reminds me of propaganda photos from the 1970s of Soviet shops with empty and half filled shelves.

We are more fortunate than some. We have a balcony to step out on for fresh air. I'm getting paid for at least a portion of this time away from work. I use the service stairs for exercise. We have managed our finances well over the years and no longer live paycheck to paycheck.

3 weeks is a blip in my life. A moment really. By late afternoon the sun comes out breaking through the gray skies of the past few days. It feels like a soft kiss, a sweet promise.

This transcends nations. This has no borders, even as we rush to secure them. This is shared by all humanity. As is being said, "We all are in this together".

1 comment:

  1. Let us hope we rise to the occasions and are together to alleviate what could be very bad

    ReplyDelete