Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Washington/Oregon 2021 - What Families Are

My nephew, his wife and their daughter arrived in the late afternoon 2 days prior to the wedding. We called, then drive over to my niece's home, where they would be staying, to greet them. It is a happy reunion. Hugs are exchanged. The contact is welcome after the year long pandemic that had made us physical strangers, even to those closest to us.

We are invited to stay for dinner. My sister in law moves about the kitchen with the ease one only sees in a matriarch, with years of experience cooking meals filled with care and familial love. We talked and recalled tales in the special way that is only shared by families. My husband made friends with my niece's dog, who washed my husband's face before dinner with his tongue.

My nephew in law invited me to join him in vodka shots, immediately  impressed by my ability in that particular action. My husband took, what he referred to as "blackmail photos", my brother, holding one of my niece's dogs, my niece, the nephew in law and me, heads tilted back, downing the Russian brew. I swiftly share the photos on the internet removing all blackmail threat.

Hugs are once again exchanged as we depart, I somewhat inebriated, my husband, driving, thankfully sober. 

It was a special moment in time. One of those moments that make families what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment