Saturday, April 27, 2024

Tulum 2024 - Monday Madness

 The hotel manager was supposed to help me order a cab for the airport. He had a dentist appointment in the morning and said he would be around in the afternoon. By 1:30 there was no sign of him. He was sweet but in somewhat over his head and at 34 seems to have the aversion to hard work my generation took for granted. I realized I would have to take matters into my own hands. 

As the hotel was still without internet I went into the plaza and stood close enough to a restaurant to enable me to steal their Wi-Fi, sign on to Google and find the number for Tulum taxis. Fortunately upon dialing the number I immediately connected with someone who spoke English. He switched our conversation to WhatsApp, no one seems to speak directly to each other anymore. and I was assured that a driver would meet me at the hotel entrance the following morning at 8:40 and get me to the airport where I would fly home and return to civilization. 

I wiled away the afternoon. I began a Mark Twain novel on my Kindle having finished the Jules Verne novel I had been reading, there was no t.v. , no internet, I was pretty much the only person on the hotel grounds, there was nothing to do but read and write. I went to lunch, I went to dinner, using both opportunities to suck up Wi-Fi like an internet sponge. At lunch  I wrote another scathing email to Aeromexico regarding my lost luggage.

The hotel manager appeared late in the afternoon to register two new guests, and, once again, the power in the area went out. It was then that I told the manager he might want to let the two new guests know that there was no internet or t.v. connection, in fact hadn't been any, as I reminded him, since the blackout of Friday afternoon. He told me outages were becoming more common as construction increases in the area. If they are overtaxing the grid now what will happen when there are people living in the new units being built?  Someone with dollar, or rather pesos, signs in their eyes seem to have not though this one through. 


No comments:

Post a Comment