Friday, April 12, 2024

Tulum 2024 - Blackout!

 After cooling off I returned to my room to nap, a luxury I allow myself in semi retirement, I woke about an hour later. There was an audible crackle as the light within my sight in the bathroom went out. I assumed a bulb had just burned out. I was wrong. When I attempted to turn on the lights in the main room, nothing happened. I was soon to discover that the entire plaza, and who knows what else, had suffered a blackout, the first of three during my stay. 

I left the hotel and walked through the plaza. restaurants were closing, the proprietors locking their doors. The taco place I had planned to eat at was still open, albeit with a limited drink menu as they specialize in smoothies, which require electricity. I was asked to pay in advance as they were concerned about the power to run credit card transactions were the  blackout to continue. As I finished my meal the crew was pulling plants indoors and stacking the tables and chairs. Power was restored a couple hours later sans internet connection in the hotel, which remained unavailable for the remainder of my stay. Since the t.v. carried streaming platforms only there was also no television during the rest of my time there. I had my Kindle, at least there was that. I read alot.......


No comments:

Post a Comment