Monday, October 25, 2021

New York City - 1980 - Introduction

 Over the past months we have been spending quite a bit of time, effort and frankly, money, on our home, a 9th floor condo in Chicago. We have upgraded our kitchen appliances and  been acquiring new furniture to replace our old  as well as planning and mapping out further changes to come. We have recently both "semi-retired" rarely working more than 3 days a week. We now spend more time in our home than we did before. As a friend of mine put we are "nesting".

As a part of this process I was emptying out and going through the contents of an old blanket chest in preparation for the delivery of it's replacement. Among an assortment of items I found a journal from a trip I took to New York City in 1980, I was 22, just a few days shy of my 23rd birthday. 

I have decided to post these entries on this site, it did start as a place to record my memories of all the trips I have been fortunate enough to experience after all. The entries will remain exactly as written when I discovered them. I will resist the urge to edit. I prefer to present them precisely as written, from the perspective of almost unimaginably young eyes chronicling an era long past. 

As is my habit I will not identify anyone by name, instead using initials for the people that shared this experience with me. Hope that doesn't get too confusing! Here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment