Friday, November 20, 2020

Coronavirus19 Diary - Bumps in the Road

Mid week it was announced, Chicago would have a stay at home advisory in place for 30 days starting the following Monday. On Friday evening I got the call, I was, once again, on furlough. I had expected it might happen. Now working for a small, family owned company, considering the circumstances, I probably would have made a similar decision as they. Once foot traffic was back to an acceptable level I was assured I would be called back.

As I've stated before, during these difficult times we are more fortunate than many. Overcoming boredom would be my greatest challenge. Saturday I eased into my situation, I watched movies and a 1961 BBC Canada production of Macbeth, starring Sean Connery in the title role, that I been interested in for several years which had become available on YouTube. I considered it a homage to the recently deceased actor. 

There is football, although my home team seems to be fumbling about in the dark this season, and my gym is still open. With obsessive attention to sanitation, mandatory mask wearing, temperature checks, occupancy controls and the members self enforcing social distancing I feel relatively safe there. 

My holiday decorating will be toned down this year but we will have a tree. That is a project I can spread out over a couple of days. I'll straighten closets and clean and organize cabinets, once again, as  during the first lock down, taking on the responsibilities of the traditional homemaker of olden days. 

One bright spot was being home to see our President Elect speak and answer questions from reporters. He was informed and statesmanlike. I had almost forgotten what that sounded like. Also, several vaccines show promise.

Once again I repeat to myself a mantra I have repeated often during these benighted times, patience.

1 comment: