Monday, September 28, 2020

Coronavirus19 Diary - Observations While Biding My Time

It was 2 weeks prior to the start date that the job offer was made. There were things I needed to accomplish. There were specialized certificates I had to acquire and black pants to find for my new work uniform. There was a bit of this and a bit of that, all to ensure that my return to the workforce would go as smoothly as possible. Despite these preparations, until the start date, I still have some of the excess of time I have had for the last 6 months. I still have the time to observe, in detail, the events going on in the U.S.,  often at break neck speed. 

A legendary woman, her contribution to our nation virtually incalculable, sadly passes away. Within hours of the announcement of her death the political carrion known as the Republican Party are vowing to replace her despite a highly contentious election being held just weeks away, early and absentee voting already underway. The final Supreme Court nominee of the previous administration was put on hold for 8 months by the Republicans. 

A woman is shot 6 times in her bed yet none of the police officers involved are charged with her death. Only one is charged, with reckless endangerment for the shots that penetrated adjacent apartments, not for the shots that penetrated the body of the dead woman. Protesters, the great majority of them peaceful, once again pour into the streets of cities across the nation.

 All the while a dangerous, childish president, who we learn has attempted to turn tax avoidance into a fine art, states he will not guarantee a peaceful transition of power while attempting to throw into question the legitimacy of the upcoming election. Lest we forget, a pandemic is still raging across the country and 850,00 new people file for unemployment each week.

During these abnormal times people are longing for normal. Some states open up exacerbating the risk of new infections and deaths as a result of complications of the virus. Citizens, never adequately protected financially by the government for the necessary shut down, teeter on the edge of poverty and homelessness. 

Mask wearing, a proven deterrent to transmission of the virus becomes a political hot potato. People rail about their rights yet have no issue with trampling on others right to dominion over their own bodies. They wish to legally censure people for who they love. They moan about the lack of morals in the country today, yet do not show the simple human concern to wear a mask to protect others. 

I do not know how it will end. I try to remain optimistic. I remind myself that, according to polls, a majority of my fellow citizens still cling to the values of decency, truthfulness and the acceptance and worth of others. I hope for the best and bide my time as I await a return to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment