Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Coronavirus19 Diary - Abnormal Normal

4 weeks, as of April 15th it had been 4 weeks that we have been "sheltering in place". I have been unemployed a few times in my life. I refer to these periods as being "between jobs". I experience some of the same anxiety now as I did then, not having the knowledge of when or how it will end. When the weather was cooler during those times, as it is now, I did much of what I am doing now. Cleaning, cooking, watching movies (thank God for cable and Netflix). But I was also able to go the gym, go to the Art Institute, travel around the city or ride my bike to while away a bit of time at the Lincoln Park Zoo, one of only 2 free zoos in the U.S.  Today these are not options.

The financial concern of those times, at least for now, is not there. I am furloughed, not laid off. Between my rainy day fund, stimulus checks, tax refund and unemployment we have a revenue stream. Things may be strained as time wears on, at this point noone knows what the future holds.

There are questions.Will the family wedding we were to attend in July still take place, or will it be postponed? When will we be called back to our jobs? Will the calluses built up on the bottom of my feet from standing all day in dress shoes be fully healed by the time I return to work? So many questions.

My husband asked, while watching a Netflix series we are following, how long we had been quarantined. When I replied "4 weeks" he said "I guess that's why this is beginning to feel normal".


1 comment: