Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Guadalajara 2019 - Mexican Food

I promised myself I would eat better than I had on my previous visit. Breakfast, fresh fruit,a variety of cereals, yogurt and toast, was provided with the room. The communal dining table allows an opportunity for the guests to meet one another. Our morning conversations cover a vast array of topics, ranging from personal tales to global issues. 

I soon discover that chicken can be difficult to come by. That being said  after viewing the murals and jewelry shopping I find a restaurant near the guesthouse that serves an excellent enchilada verde, just the right amount of spicy, and a waiter that has some command of English, this quality can sometimes be in short supply. In fact the language barrier is one of the biggest challenges I have encountered during my visits to Guadalajara.

That evening I walk back to the area of the Cathedral. There is a restaurant located there I remembered from my first trip. It is on the second floor above the Cathedral Plaza. It's main draw for me, a snifter of Chivas Regal costs the equivalent of $5. A scotch of this quality is usually too rich for my pocket book. As I walk to the plaza I pass a string trio playing under a centuries old arcade. The view from my table through the french doors is the classical facade of the municipal building which fills one side of the square. Music from the singer in the restaurant below wafts through the doors, open to the cool, refreshing night air. The food is excellent, the Chivas a rare treat. I leave and return to the guesthouse stuffed and happy.

Then there was the lunch of Cesar salad with tender strips of chicken and generous wedges of garlic bread. The dinner of breaded shrimp so amazing I had to restrain myself to from moaning out loud at the table....if I had stayed any longer I would have returned weighing over 200 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment