Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Mexico 2022 - Hotel Morales

 I had tried, on my first visit to Guadalajara, to stay at the historic Hotel Morales, but, as it was a trip planned at the last minute, wasn't able to get a reservation I opted for another venerable hotel a block away. 

Hotel Morales, first built in the late 1800's as a private hacienda, was changed to a hotel due to it's proximity to the train station and bullring once located in the area. It was later expanded and 2 floors added. Today it is a lovely and graceful oasis of old world elegance and charm. Small wrought iron balconies grace some of the rooms, including mine. It is a place of lush courtyards, well appointed public spaces and beautiful stonework. Yet it contains modern amenities such as a rooftop pool, small fitness room and a second rooftop terrace that over looks the city. 

I was spoiled by the excellent restaurant with its expansive breakfast buffet. The concierge that went to the arena box office to get my tickets for the Tuesday night Mexican wrestling show, which sucked by the way, but such is life, to keep me from having to pay Ticketmaster's outrageous fees. He also arranged for a masseuse to come to the hotel resulting in a stress relieving hour of bliss. I returned to the room early on a couple of occasions to find the house keeping staff doing her daily mopping of the floor, the room sparkling. I enjoyed bringing a cocktail to my room from the bar each night to end my day.

It is an easy walk to the cathedral and the historic treats nearby. If I return to Guadalajara it will be my first choice place to stay, Provided, of course, that I can get a reservation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment