Thursday, December 22, 2022

Mexico 2022 - Vacations Moments of Magic

 For my final evening in Guadalajara I decided I would have dinner in the square in front of the cathedral. I walked past the venerable University of Guadalajara building, the fountain in it's plaza lit a beautiful shade of pale blue. The fountain in Cathedral Square was illuminated in the same hue, while the lights highlighting the trees in the plaza changed colors as did the lights in the arcade of the centuries old building across the square. A duo, a man with a guitar and  woman with a beautiful lower register, performed off to one side of the restaurant as I dined on a delectable breaded shrimp and sipped red wine. The cathedral bells rang out the hour, a sound I had become accustomed to as the church across from my hotel did the same each hour of the day....and night. Cities have a soundscape, some of it frenetic and earjarring but other parts soothing and soul filling. I strolled at a leisurely pace back to my hotel, at one point maneuvering around a tiny boy kicking a soccer ball about with reckless abandon, lost in the delightful innocence of youth, savoring the feel of the city before ordering one last drink from the hotel bar, taking it up to my room and retiring, looking forward to what lay ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment