Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Rage

I scream into a dark void.

Children being taken from their parents. Refugees fleeing violence and terror find their families torn apart as they seek safety in what was once a country of promise. No records are kept so the reunification of these families, even in their home countries, may never be possible.

I scream into a darkening void.

A man, put into power by a minority of the people, insulting our allies while cavorting with oppressive dictators.

I scream into a void.

I find myself glad sometimes that I am in the final third of my life. I consider what it would be like to witness this madness in my youth, that hate and divisiveness may be all my future holds.

I scream into the dark void.

A man, put into power by a minority of the people, dividing us. Pitting citizen against citizen, us against our allies, screaming and lying to his minions. Demanding they be allowed weapons of war. Demanding that laws be created to reflect their beliefs, stifling the beliefs and trampling the rights and freedoms of others.

I scream into an increasingly dark void.

I do not cry. Mine is not the sadness of tears. It is the sadness of fear and dread. The fear and dread of increasing hate, of the erosion of liberties. Fear of desecration of the planet we share. Fear of growing economic disparity, of creating a permanent servant class scratching through the cast off remains of the wealthy to survive. Fear and dread of violence in schools, churches, concerts and movie theaters. Fear that one day I will no longer recognize the country in which I was born and raised, that the damage to it may be too great to ever be repaired.

I scream into a dark void.


No comments:

Post a Comment