Saturday, May 19, 2012

Mexico City - Torre de Latino Americano and again, I do not Blend

On the edge of Mexico City's historical center is the Torre de Latino Americano. Built in 1957 it's top floor observation deck, accessed via a special elevator for a modest fee, affords one an extensive view of the city. It was only from this vantage point that I was able to see at least one edge of the metropolis. Cinder block buildings crawl up a mountain on one side of the city ending about halfway to the top. As the historical buildings which surround it are smaller in scale than the tower  nothing impedes the view. Clusters of high rises mix with smaller structures throughout the city. From this vantage point the pollution which plaques the city is also visible It was not noticeable at ground level outside of a slight occasional itching of my eyes.

Also in the area is the Palacio de Bellas Artes, the home of the Ballet Folklorio de Mexico. A neo classical facade mixes with an art deco lobby. Inside the theatre the curtain was designed by Tiffany, however, the house was not open the day of my visit.

As I mentioned, although at 5'5" I am the same height as many of the residents of Mexico City, my skin tone and pale hair definitely identify me as a visitor from "north of the border". As I crossed the broad plaza in front of the theatre 4 teenage girls ran up to me. "Senor" they said, "Do you speak English?"

"Yes", I replied.

The girls then asked"Could we ask you some questions? It is for our English class."

After I agreed they launched into a short list of questions.

"Is this your first time in Mexico?"

"No."

"Is this your first time in Mexico City?"

"Yes."

"How do you like the Mexican food?"

"It's excellent " I answered. It really is, I've never been disappointed by it in any of my visits to the country.

"How do you like the Mexican people?"

"They're very nice and friendly"

During this exchange one of the girls was holding a small tape recorder up to capture my answers. They thanked me and ran off.

I had not walked more that 5 more paces before an adorable group of teenage boy's ran up to me saying "Senor, do you speak English?"

"Yes."

"Could we ask you some questions?" one asked. "It is for" he struggled for a moment then came up with the word "Homework".

They then asked the same questions in the same order. They also thanked me and ran off. During this exchange one of the boys was holding up a tiny video camera to capture the moment.

Relaying this story to my partner after returning home he remarked "Oh great! Now you're going to turn up on YouTube as "the ultimate gringo!"



1 comment:

  1. I think this story is rather sweet. I would be too scared to ask a stranger as they did.

    ReplyDelete