Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Degrees of Separation - Suzanne Pleshette Times 3 Among Others

In my younger days I was determined to at least attempt to make my living in the theatre. For several reasons that never panned out. In those same years I, always being a pragmatic sort, knew that I would need a profession to fall back on if my artistic aspirations didn't work out as I hoped. Thus, I attended beauty school and was eventually licensed as a cosmetologist. While in school I had a teacher who, for a time, worked in a salon in Beverly Hills so elegant that it included a pool in a backyard area. Besides the wealthy housewives, their husband's mistresses and professional women who frequented the salon; one of my teachers customers was the president of Revlon; it had two celebrity clients, Fanny Brice and Suzanne Pleshette. Suzanne Pleshette times 1, not to mention the legendary Fanny Brice.

My former boss, for a time, sold fine jewelry, also in Beverly Hills. I was jealous of him only once, when he mentioned that he had once sold pearls to Audrey Hepburn. He made it worse by mentioning that he fastened them around the actress's extraordinary neck. 1 degree from Audrey Hepburn, but I digress. During a conversation he once accused me of being a snob, saying the cause was my fancy Chicago address. I corrected him and relayed that we actually lived two blocks from the building they used for the exterior of Bob Newhart's apartment building in his 1970's sitcom. The sitcom costarred Ms Pleshette. Suzanne Pleshette times 2. Not to mention Bob Newhart. He replied that he used to wait on her in the Beverly Hills store. Pleshette times 3.

As an aside, when I asked what she was like, he hesitated for a moment before answering "Demanding".

No comments:

Post a Comment